My dearest Zachary,
With this special day just about over when I’m writing this, I’ve been thinking a lot about how much you mean to me. We’ve known each other for about a year, and the whole time you’ve been leaving your mark on me. Whenever I slip and say one of your signature phrases, I know that a piece of you is always with me.
You’ve been such an important part of my life for the past year- even when I really couldn’t stand you. You were the one I could always count on to cheer me up at school when I was having a bad day. I always knew that you’d either say something funny or just do something so stupid that it would make me laugh uncontrollably. Once we became good friends, I realized that you were so much more than just a person to laugh at/with. You were someone with aspirations that so few would ever imagine. You’re deeper than what I thought. You were in tough with your emotions in a way that I had never seen any other guy be. You cared for people so much more than I ever could. It amazed me. To this day, I am amazed by all that you are.
Our past few months together have been noting short of unbelievable. You’ve slow danced with me in my room until I’ve fallen over laughing and sang with me at the top of our lungs during car rides. Whenever we’re together, it feels like the happy parts of any Hallmark movie. Sometimes the smiles we have on our faces start to hurt, but we still can’t make them go away. But I really never want them to. Our smiles mean something so special to me. Especially when we’re laughing together. We laugh about the dumbest things until we’re red in the face (which isn’t hard since we both are a couple of tomatoes).
But with every high comes a low. We’ve been there for each other through questions of faith, personal heartache, and so much more. Although it seemed easy at times, we never gave up on each other. Some things we went through were so much more than people our age should ever have to go through, but not once did we leave each other’s side. And I think that speaks volumes about our relationship.
Now, since it’s your birthday (or at least it was before I posted this), I want to thank you for a few things- 18 things to be exact.
- Thank you for transferring to my school for my very last semester of high school.
- Thank you for giving me advice (even the times that it was about boys).
- Thank you for driving me to my senior prom AND letting me have the aux cord the whole time.
- Thank you for finally following me back on twitter in SEPTEMBER. SEPTEMBER. No, I promise I’m not mad that it took you nine months to follow me back.
- Thank you for having such a cool family that always makes me feel welcomed and at home.
- Thank you for rushing to my house in the middle of the night when I’m upset.
- Thank you for always motivating me and pushing me past the boundaries I set for myself.
- Thank you for having four letters in your name so all my friends could have a shirt.
- Thank you for telling me I’m right when I’m clearly wrong, but way too passionate to admit it.
- Thank you for listening to me when I share gossip or stories about work.
- Thank you for forehead kisses that put a smile on my face.
- Thank you for not laughing at me when I cry during The Grinch (or basically any movie. But especially The Grinch).
- Thank you for always telling me you’re proud of me.
- Thank you for singing Falling in Reverse with me way too loud.
- Thank you for not caring when my legs aren’t super smooth (you still crack jokes, but at least you’re not being serious).
- Thank you for calling me beautiful when I’m in sweats with no makeup and my hair tied back.
- Thank you for making time for me even though you have a crazy schedule that barely coordinates with mine.
- Thank you for being my best friend and boyfriend all wrapped up into one.
I want you to know that I am always on your side. I will root for you even when nobody else does. When you feel like you’re alone, remember you’ve got me now, and you’ll have me always. You’re the best thing to ever happen to me Zachary.
Happy (late) birthday.
I love you.